GINA, GUYANA, Thursday, December 15, 2016
The Committee of Supply approved a total of $2.3B for Cuyuni/Mazaruni, Region Seven today, during consideration of the 2017 estimates in the National Assembly.
The capital expenditure for the Region is as follows:
– Maintenance of Kamarang to Waramadong farm to market access road
– Maintenance of roads around Bartica
– Maintenance of Agatash road
-Maintenance of Mora Point, Kalkun road
– Maintenance of road from Bamford point
-Maintenance of Kako/Waramadong farm to market road
– Maintenance of bridges along the Kamarang to Waramadong road
– Maintenance of Wax Creek bridge
– Maintenance of landing, Batavia
– Upgrading Agatash main access road and
– Construction of revetment at Agatash, Bartica
Meanwhile Opposition MP, Nigel Dharamlall questioned Minister in the Ministry of Communities Dawn Hastings-Williams about the projects that would be done under the various headings. Dharamlall repeatedly asked whether regional contractors are used for projects. Hastings- Williams responded ‘wherever possible’. She noted that the government is working to build capacity of local contractors to increase their credibility to bid.
Dharamlall also asked whether indigenous people and products are used. Hastings-Williams repeated that they do when available. She added that indigenous people are encouraged to sell their products.
By: Tiffny Rhodius